Sunday, March 2, 2008

New abstract work


This is what I have been working on in my abstract class the past 3 weeks. It is on two panels, side by side, 36 x 48 in total size. I started from an image I created in the computer Microsoft Paint program. Then, with the image as an underpinning, I scribbled oil sticks over the surface to destroy to create. I added many more lines and shapes of color and it's starting to come together. The original background color at the edges was black but today I covered it over in a rich silver as I expanded the lines and colors almost to the edges of the canvas. I think one more session should get me toward completion. I have two others in progress at home, very different in color and effect, yet similar in density and feel. Viewed close up I want a density of surface while viewed far away, I want a merging of colors, like Seurat's dots, that shimmer.
The small size here does not do justice to the work. Here it looks like a rectangular pizza but what a tasty dish it is. I'll post a larger photo on my Website once it is finished and for sale.

No comments: