Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Back from LA


Had a nice sunny week, hit 88 the last day, in LA. Only sketched while there but then borrowed a great book of Manet's late still life paintings. He was ill and could no longer do large work so painted from flowers in his studio. I promised a relative I'd paint copy of her favorite for the loan of the book and it's coming along well. Here is the still life. It's an 8x10 oil and only needs a few finishing touches. We learn much copying the masters. Museums used to allow painters to set up their easels and paint from the originals. I'm not sure if this practice is still allowed. Perhaps someone knows and can comment. With the good reproduction processes available now I feel I can learn from books but would be nice to work from originals. Probably I'd spill some paint and they'd kick me out.

I've again used a thick texture to activate the surface of the canvas although could only use the palette knife for the black background. Will post a new abstract this week as feel I'm finished with several of them.

No comments: