Friday, February 8, 2008

Spokane River Landscape


Have been busy working on several new abstracts and not ready to share them yet. Am reworking an old painting on a 36 x 48 masonite panel that I was never satisfied with. My wife said I have destroyed it but sometimes you need to rework paintings to get to where you want. Have been reading the very good biography of Willem DeKooning and just finished the portion when he was working on his Woman series. The first one gave him trouble and he worked on it for three years, scraping and repainting almost every day. I'm only on the third iteration of the large painting so have a ways to go. Whatever is lost can always be restored. I'm using the water soluble oils so can paint over areas every few days after they "set up." I don't plan on three years on one painting but you never know.


Here is a small landscape based on a scene in Spokane of the river running through town and a small dam. This is 5 x 7 inches and painted nice and loose and thick.

No comments: