Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Abstract letters


Here is an abstract looking painting yet it's composed of the alphabet in different sizes and colors. It includes a bull's eye in the center, again made of letters painted in acrylic. Acrylic is great for such a work because by the time you finish part, the rest is dry and you can keep working. It took quite a long time to paint this even though it's only 11 x13 inches. I should have counted how many letters are included. It's probably over a hundred full alphabets so over several thousand letters is a good estimate. Will have to decide if it would be worthwhile to do a larger work or two in this style. It's visually dynamic as I used bright, almost fluorescent colors.


I'm currently also working on redoing an old abstract I wasn't happy with to move it forward to the newer look I desire. Will post this after get it closer to the goal. Now that I have full time to paint (except for my wife and workouts of course), I have to decide what is worth doing. It's a dilemma I didn't face as much before but now with time I have the existential and artistic crisis. I'm hoping that with abstract class to think through the issues, the abstract art lectures, and the work, that these will lead me to my direction. Like most of my life though, I get bored of any one thing - variety is the spice so I'm continuing the drawing sessions and sketching to refine my hand and my style as it's difficult to tell where I will end up in art. I feel I've developed two very strong and beautiful abstract styles but still enjoy the discipline of drawing the figure. Life is meant for challenge.

No comments: