Monday, February 11, 2008

New Abstract Work

Have been busy painting. Here is a new yellow abstract. Also have the large one pretty well finished although with some of these you never know as you want to keep improving it forever. It's an old one I am painting over so getting the density I want. This new yellow one is 16 x 20 inches and was started as a bright multi-colored abstract based on the other image shown, which is a small oil sketch on unstretched canvas. See if you can spot the transition from the multi-colored work to the larger oil in yellow. I start many paintings by covering the canvas in many colors, then blocking out what I don't want and keeping some smaller marks and sections. This process adds texture and edges for the shapes that are left. I have several large canvases in this style on my abstract page of my Website.




Tonight is the second lecture in the Contemporary Art series at Gage Academy. Although I have a ton of art books (literally), it's nice to get a quick overview with large slides shown. I just don't take time to read like I should although I use the books often to look at the images.

No comments: