Monday, February 25, 2008

More Green Lake


Here is another palette knife painting of Duck Island at Green Lake. I'm off to my art lecture series but wanted to post a new work. Also spent a sleepless hour near 1 am last night as it was hot and I couldn't sleep so reworked my yellow abstract I've been working on. Not sure where it will lead but it's always a challenge.


I've been about the challenge of realistic painting versus abstract as the lectures I've been attending are about abstract art and there are several attendees who I can tell don't appreciate abstract or non-objective work, yet, I find it more difficult to do a good abstract than a figure or landscape. Once you have an image in front of you, it limits the process while with an abstract, there are no limiting factors except ones you must choose. These choices are no easier than deciding on the issues of realistic painting and often even more difficult. One only needs to see the loads of bad abstract painting to see this is true while there are many beautiful landscapes and figures painted every day it seems.

No comments: