Monday, January 14, 2008

New work based on Mexico trip


Here is a new work based on a trip I recently took to the Mexican Riviera aboard a cruise ship. This is the very tip of Baja, where the Sea of Cortez meets the Pacific Ocean. There is a beautiful small arch in the central rock formation. We cruised in just as the sun was rising so I took some great photos to work from. This work is 22 x 30.
I have also been working on a very different painting (different from my usual landscapes that rarely have people in them) of the start of the 2007 Seattle Marathon. This resulted from a possible photo project for a local magazine that didn't work out, however I had some photos I Iiked so started a painting of one of them. As before in a similar mural project, I found the most challenging part to be to paint small faces in the lead group of runners. There is a happy medium between realism and impressionism I try to paint for these yet the faces are never satisfying. I'll post this work when I feel more comfortable with it. Challenges are how we learn and grow, right?


No comments: