Monday, January 28, 2008

Foggy coast



Here is another of my favorite Oregon coast scenes. The distant coast is lost in the fog, a common event. This is 8 x 10".




I have begun my abstract painting course and will have a chance to experiment with new mediums and techniques as part of the class exercises as well as continue my own styles of painting, and add to them as I use the exercise material in my current work. This is one of the exercises where the assignment was to create a collage with concentration on shapes and also a concentration on one main color. I love the richness of black and shades of black so I started with a black background, then cut up a photo of a sunset over buildings and turned it upside down so the building shapes, a green tinted black, are at the top and the upside down sunset clouds repeat the cut out shape at the bottom - the splash of color to set off the blacks and grays. I then added some black ribbon and a black, outlined heart (a spade from a playing card.) I like the final effort and the textures of the blacks.

1 comment:

jennhx said...

Hey I like the new abstract! Very different from your others. Will be neat to see what comes of your class experiments.