Sunday, January 13, 2008

New Blog



Get ready to read and see new art work regularly. Although I update my Website at albionarts.com regularly, I will be putting up more frequent updates on work in progress, directions, and new art activities and thoughts here. I hope you enjoy reading and viewing as we grow together.


My daughter moved to Arizona last year and I have visited as has my other daughter, who is a great photographer. She now has a new D-40 camera and we both have taken photos for me to paint Southwest scenes from. Here is one of the resulting paintings. It is done in oils, my main medium, and is 12x16.

It is interesting to me how each type of landscape almost creates it's own technique to get the result I want. Here I underpainted with a strong orange that shows through in spots. It is very different from the Northwest landscapes where the colors are more muted except for sunsets and sunrises. The clear Southwest atmosphere makes for stunningly contrasted and clear shadows and light. I plan on more of these works, including the Grand Canyon which I have only begun to paint. Here is the first of these: This work is 18 x 24.
I plan on a series of related views as I move forward in capturing the new colorful landscape in oils.

No comments: