Friday, April 4, 2008

New work


Have started an exciting new series of paintings based on a grid pattern. I have been reading about art of the 70's and 80's and many artists used a grid to work their ideas around. Since I'm pretty much a colorist, I am working on three works with varied colored grids, each space an inch square, on medium size canvasses. This work is 16x20 inches hence 320 squares. It was an older work with yellow already covering much of the canvas so I stayed within that color theme. I drew the grid lines with a light blue oil pastel and like the contrast with the bright yellows. The goal is balance and movement to maintain visual interest. I have another work with mainly reds and a third with grays and tans and whites. This is the fun of having time to experiment. I just go where my interests lead me. I have always felt that a good artist could make strong art from anything. Since I enjoy painting most, I paint in many styles to stay fresh and involved. This work reminds me of Paul Klee's work from the early 1900's.

No comments: