Saturday, April 26, 2008

More grids


Here is a new grid painting I've been working on all week. Takes a while to paint 775 one inch cubes. The idea here came to me in a dream and I remembered it enough to jot it down. It's a takeoff on my prior square grid but here the colorful part is restricted to the bottom corner. I preserve the desolation of neutral greys but the artist's hand is evident in the brush strokes in each cube of the grid. The bottom corner has small expressionistic bright paintings to offset the neutral area. Again, it's a combination and moving forward from abstract expressionism through minimalism and op art. The grey vibrates as you study it and becomes alive. I think I'm on a good track here although don't know how far to take this without repeating myself.

No comments: