Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Grid Painting


I'll be traveling for a few days so won't be able to update until next week again. Just finished a beautiful painting using my grid ideas. Have been reading a book about Brice Marden and finished a biography of Willem de Kooning, which was excellent by the way, one of the best art biographies I've read, and my mind absorbed it all as the new painting combines my grid work with abstract expressionism.
I started with a taped off checkerboard surface, then painted my abstract swirl style over the surface. When I was satisfied with the result, I removed the taped squares and then painted them in with an almost op art pattern of grays that draws the eye in. Each of the colorful squares is an individual small abstract work that I touched up for a finishing touch. The painting is 24x24 inches on a hard board surface. I believe it is one of the strongest paintings and most beautiful I have ever done although a small photo doesn't do it justice. It balances the two dimensional plane that is a painting but also has one looking into it or through it at the dancing small paintings. Not sure if this is a beginning right now or a culmination but I like the result.

No comments: