Sunday, April 17, 2016

New work from Kona

I've finished a few more new works recently. The plein air process for me, even though I paint pretty quickly to capture the light and shadows, always seems to involve studio touchups where I have to push the lights and darks some more as the bright sun makes the work seem to have more contrast than is really there. A couple of these also were done only in the studio as I'm trying out new techniques. Have to keep learning to grow as an artist. 

The top work is the lifeguard tower at Magic Sands Beach, an 8x10 done mainly on site. I'm debating whether to add a few figures to the scene. 


This next one is a studio painting, 8x8 in size, where I captured a sunset of Waimea.  


This next one is also a studio painting, 11x14, where I experimented with figures, sailboats, and some birds flying in the scene. 

   

No comments: