Sunday, July 27, 2008

Fourth flower painting


This 8 x 10 oil is the last of my current series of flower paintings of Magnuson Park. I also did a couple of mirrors using the same designs. Usually for the craft items I don't use original paintings but do interpretations of impressionist work, especially Monet but these floral paintings had a similar feel so I did them in acrylics on the mirrors.


I'm also still working on a time consuming project in my political art realm and realize it will take about 60 hours total time for a 32 x 40 work that I'm doing in wax. Will it be worth it? The image is a US flag with small X's for each fallen US soldier in the Iraq war. I see it as a protest rather than a tribute as I believe the war was unjustified from the start. As a Vietnam era veteran, I could see a false justification from the start and didn't think the Vietnam folly would be repeated in my lifetime but I was wrong. The artwork will be my attempt to shout about the needlessly X'd out lives.

No comments: