Monday, June 23, 2008

Hawaii sunsets



Now that I plan on returning to Maui for a fall vacation, I pulled out some Hawaii sunsets I have painted and redid them in the wax medium. Even though I have about 35 wax colors to work with, I find that with the wax the way I use it, with a stylus, I do not get the blending that allows subtle colors. These sunsets are thus very bright, almost like the whale and underwater paintings you see in Hawaiian galleries. I would have to melt the wax in small containers to mix the colors I want and I'm not set up with ventilation to do that so I use a pointillist type techinique of small patches of color side by side, thus keeping them cleaner and brighter. The oils I'm using as references are not quite as bright when compared although I had always thought of them as pretty bright.




Here are two 5x7 wax sunsets.

No comments: