Monday, December 14, 2015

Latest Kona Work

Catching up on posting some recent work. Top two are 11x14 size on stretched canvas. Top one is a scene of Kona Town at night under a full moon and interesting clouds along the hill tops. This is from a pier across the bay from town and I worked from a photo I took.

Next is Honokohau Harbor Park which is a heritage site with old rock barriers and fish ponds and the canoe hut I organized the painting around. This was mainly done on site as I added a device to my paint box to allow me to use larger canvas, up to 12 inches tall, versus the normal 8x10 that fit inside the box. Downside is I need to haul larger stuff back and forth from the car to the painting locations so I won't do this everywhere.  

Last is an 8x10 I did as a demo painting outside the Kahuli Theatre In Waimea where we had a plain air art show this month. The mountain in the distance is Mauna Kea where there are many observatories so I included two tiny dabs on top to represent those. This was the view from in front of the theater where I had to huddle to avoid the wind. The sun kept moving, the wind kept increasing, and the clouds in the distance kept changing so was a challenge. Might need to do a better one from one of the reference photos I took that day.





No comments: